OM.2024.105 - Kelly C. Berwager - USA


OM.2024.105 - Kelly C. Berwager - USA - Vanity Sizing - collage on pane l- 8 x 8 inches - Visual Poetry and Color


Artist Statement

In conjunction with other collages I’ve created using old dress patterns, paper dolls, and

other sewing notions, Vanity Sizing revisits the concepts of body image and the change

in how women view themselves. Despite Americans getting larger over the past 50

years, clothing companies have instituted vanity sizing, shifting sizes to make

customers feel smaller than they actually are. If you look at the size chart on the

collage, a size 16 in 1957, the measurements were 36, 28, 38. Today, those

measurements are 42, 35, 45. A size 16 in 1957 equals a size eight today, but that also

depends on who you’re asking.

My grandmother was a hoarder, so when we cleaned out her house, I found a lot of

dress patterns and fabric. I noticed patterns of different sizes had the same images on

the front. It didn’t matter if you were a size 8 or 16; you saw the same image to

reference your appearance if you used the pattern.

I wanted to be a fashion designer in my younger years, but that dream never happened.

I worked in clothing retail stores and for a fashion jewelry company, so I kept the love of

fashion in the forefront until I needed a better salary and benefits. I earned my art

education degree and a Ph.D. to teach art at the collegiate level, and I have taught for

28 years. My love of fashion never waivered, so when I finally found my way back to

creating artwork, I incorporated fashion images into my paintings. My memories of my

mom and grandmother using those tissue paper patterns to make outfits for my sister

and myself led me to use paper patterns—cover images and tissue paper—in my

smaller collages.


Artist Bio

I grew up in north Alabama where I received an art scholarship to a junior college but

chose to study Business Administration at Birmingham-Southern College. I continued

taking art classes throughout college but didn’t think I could make it as an artist and

teaching was never an option.

Ten years after receiving my degree in business, I started my family and returned to

school for a Master’s degree in Art Education (never say “never”). My media of choice at

the time was large oil paintings of odd still-life objects seen from my two-year-old son’s

point of view.

I then received a MA.E. degree in 1996 from the University of Alabama at Birmingham

and taught PK-12 visual art classes for 17 years in the Birmingham/Homewood area. I

received a Ph.D. in 2013 in Educational Research from The University of Alabama with

a desire to teach at the collegiate level. I began teaching Visual Arts and Arts Education

classes at Troy University in 2013 and am still there at least for a few more years.

After a health scare in mid-2021, I needed something to help me de-stress so I went

back to my first love painting. I found my “center” again and it has made me a better

teacher by practicing what I preaches. My love for painting fabric led me to look for

images with lush fabrics and a sexy, retro-vibe. I’ve always been a shoe-oholic but now

that I’m older I can't wear the high heels of my younger days, so now I paint them. With

the shoes, I look for the design quality of high-end footwear, but also the elegance of

the occasion with which each heel could be worn.

I currently live & teach in Troy, Alabama with my husband, Tom, and our Chocolate Lab, Lab/Redbone Coonhound mix dogs, Sam and Max.



Website: https://www.kellyberwagerart.com/


Comments

Popular Posts